- No Tweets Available
Call us: 08450 66 66 99
Keltic Clothing Blog
Tag Archives: body armour UK
In the 1980s all body armour was rigid or “hardened”, making it uncomfortable and difficult to move in. Thankfully, technology has moved on to the extent that flexible soft body armour is now available that provides equal or greater protection from all threats, including blunt trauma (body blows).
When it comes to blunt trauma, we recommend that you ask for a demonstration of the protection provided by the proposed bodyarmour supplier, because there is no Home Office standard for blunt trauma protection. Also, it’s crucial for wearers to be able to manoeuvre away from threats, and something key to add into the mix is the fact that they will find it easier to manoeuvre if their body armour is flexible.
All body armour uk suppliers should be happy to call in to see you to demonstrate the capabilities of their products, and this is a great way for you to confirm that they have Home Office test certificates and that all armour is full CE marked too.
Choosing the right body armour can be nerve-wracking because it is so important to get it right. You can find plenty of advice on our website about your Health and Safety responsibilities when buying bodyarmour in the UK. However we have been able to boil down the decision making process to three simple questions:
- Which threats do you think your staff will come across in the course of their work? The first thing to do is to carry out a risk assessment taking into account the risks your staff may face. This means thinking about the threats that are found in your local area (don’t forget to consult with your local police if possible) as well as the threats that are specific to their day to day work. Here is your starter for ten:
- Are your staff at risk from knives and spikes?
- Is there also a risk from guns?
- Also think about any additional threats of blunt trauma and syringes.
- Which Home Office protection level is required? You can check out the details of the level of stab, spike and ballistic protection recommended by the Home Office for the various jobs your staff perform by looking at our individual stab vests and ballistic vests pages.
- Which style is best for your staff? If you choose a style your staff like, they are more likely to wear their body armour protection whenever they are exposed to risk. Questions 1 and 2 are redundant if they don’t want to their vest because it’s not appropriate for their work or because they don’t like the way it looks. You can counter this by buying from a supplier who has a range of styles to suit every need.
See our stab vest and ballistic vest pages to see our seven styles of protective body armour – the largest choice of stock-backed styles in the UK.
Don’t forget, we’re offering free delivery and collection of samples throughout March.